Friday, October 31, 2008

Bicycles and the end of preferences

I decided to write a short committment for Bicycle Victoria to let their members know what I stand for in terms of transport of the two-wheeled variety. Here is what I said:

"As a Greens candidate, it’s a fundamental part of my platform that people rely less on their cars and more on alternative means, including walking and riding their bicycles. As such, I would advocate for a Council-wide linkup of bicycle paths, more secure bike parking areas, the inclusion of bicycle lanes where possible and bicycle-friendly ramps around our famous Frankston foreshore. Every weekend, cyclists ride through our municipality on the Nepean Highway enjoying a casual ride or a serious race. Linking up a bike path with our municipal neighbours on the Mornington Peninsula would help with the safety of these cyclists. I would advocate for the implementation of a special lock-up “bike zone” at Frankston station, providing a safer and more secure area for residents to “Bike and Train” into the City for their daily commute. I will also commit more Council funding to school-aged education programs within the City so as to encourage more students to use their bikes to get to and from school or around Frankston."

Preferences closed today. In the interests of transparency, here are my preferences:

1. Jaymz Stevens (of course!)
2. Robert Thurley
3. Barry Priestley
4. Christine Richards
5. Alistair Wardle
6. Brian Cunial
7. Judy Wachendorfer
8. Henryk Kay
9. Wayne Woods
10. Suzette Trewhitt

My posters are out in the City today, so keep your eye out for them. You may have come across this blog because of them. If so, welcome and please feel free to leave a comment or an e-mail to let me know what you think of my campaign or issues you feel strongly about.

No comments: