Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Riding around Town

From today onwards, you may see me around Frankston riding my new (used!) bike. I'm the guy with the Greens stickers on his helmet.

I think it's important to walk the walk, and since I am running on a "less reliance on cars" platform, I will not be using my car in this campaign (except if my wife and children are attending events or shopping with me, or it's my turn to pick up the kids!). I think that for short trips it is quite easy to invest in a bicycle or, even easier, to walk to the local shops! I understand that for longer trips, it's almost impossible to walk (public transport, perhaps?). For those with young children (like myself), it can be very difficult walking to the shops. Have a go anyway!

Alongside this, we need to increase public transport. The Frankston railway line needs to be extended to Baxter, and Councils (as well as communities) need to band together to lobby State Government to increase the number of services and the quality of these services (rail and bus).

Another idea I have is for an inner and outer loop situation, where we can link up stations towards the end of certain lines (Frankston, Cranbourne, Dandenong, Glen Waverley, Nunawading, and so on). The inner loop (which is not so much a Frankston issue) would link up stations such as Caulfield with East Malvern and across to Box Hill. Don't get me wrong. These are major works and require more thought and process than what i've outlined here (tunnels or no tunnels? Stations in between these outer loop stations?) but I think it is a credible idea.

Ideas are important and the most realistic ideas are going to come from one source : the community for whom these ideas are required. That's why I am, on this election campaign, going to link up with community groups at meetings and find out what ideas THEY have. Let's give the community a true, genuine ear on Council. It's about time!

No comments: