Sunday, November 9, 2008

Friday night's speech

On Friday night, I made a presentation at the Frankston North Community Group's Candidates Forum. Here is my three-minute speech:

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, members of the Frankston North Community Group and my fellow candidates.

My name is Jaymz Stevens. I’m 26 years old and I am the endorsed Greens candidate for the South West Ward of Frankston City Council.

I am going into my third year of studying Primary Education at Monash University,Peninsula campus, and I live in Frankston with my wife and our two young children. I also work part-time in After School Care.

In the past, I have spent too much time talking about the issues that affect Frankston and I recently felt that it was finally time to act and put my hand up to make a difference for the City that I love.

The things that concern me the most are the impact of developments and climate change on our environment, concerns over the welfare of the youth in our community and problems facing the families of this City.

One of the major issues facing us is that of Climate Change. It is important for Council to get out of this long-held idea of “carbon neutrality” and start working with the businesses of the municipality to lower their carbon emissions. I will also call on Council to provide its population with more information on how climate change will affect them, with an annual “Eco Expo” showcasing a sustainable way of life.

I do not believe that a Bypass is an effective answer to easing the bottleneck at the end of the Frankston Freeway, especially not through the Pines Flora & Fauna Reserve.

It is also imperative that we provide more opportunities for Frankston residents to get around without using their car… including providing a biofuel shuttle bus between Bayside, the Karingal Hub and Langwarrin Shopping Centres.

I would also lobby the State Government to extend the Frankston railway line to Baxter.

A massive Marina complex is not sustainable environmentally or economically. In our current economic crisis, developing a Marina hotel or apartment complex for the rich simply is not feasible. The impact that it may have on the environment is also too great to risk its development. I do, however, believe in the development of a Safe Boat Harbour.

Having a young family, it is important to me to advocate more access for young families to receive daycare, ensuring that they have every chance to work or study whilst still being able to afford to have their children in care.

Music and lifestyle events for the young people of our community are essential to making the streets safer and providing more opportunities for Frankston’s burgeoning artistic community to showcase their talent. I would recommend that Council fund open mic and gallery nights for local bands and artists as well as two big music concerts a year to give local acts more exposure and the chance to take their craft to the next level.

I will meet with community, youth and Friends groups to ensure that they have their concerns heard by Council and to return the sense of Community to our unique municipality.

I stand as a Greens candidate to stop infighting and ensure that Council’s decisions take into account the effect that they may have on the world of our children. It is time that we stand as a unit, together making Frankston City the most progressive Council in Victoria."

No comments: